ADSM-L

Problems with writing to manual 8mm tape drive

1998-01-09 08:49:02
Subject: Problems with writing to manual 8mm tape drive
From: Stuart McIntyre <stuart AT DYADIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:49:02 +0100
Hi there,

This is my first question to the list, so please be patient...

I have just set up an ADSM v3.1 server on AIX4.1, with the aim of getting
used to the product before purchasing a tape library e.g. DLT...  Therefore
I am using a GENERIC device class, with a manual tape library containing
just one 8mm tape drive (an IBM 7208-011 drive).  I have got as far as
getting data from a Win'95 client onto the ADSM server, and into the
BACKUPPOOL, which is now 95% full, and so I want it to migrate to the tape
drive which is in a sequential pool called TAPEPOOL.

I have registered a single volume in TAPEPOOL, called ADSM01, and have
labelled the tape using the LABEL LIBVOLUME command - all seems to work
okay.  When I issue the server command "UPDATE STGPOOL BACKUPPOOL
NEXTSTGPOOL=TAPEPOOL", the server asks for the ADSM01 tape to be mounted
which I do.  The server detects the tape is there, and attempts to write to
it (it is not write-protected I promise you!), but fails:

update stgpool backuppool nextstgpool=tapepool
ANR2202I Storage pool BACKUPPOOL updated.
ANR0984I Process 3 for MIGRATION started in the BACKGROUND at 14:40:51.
ANR1000I Migration process 3 started for storage pool BACKUPPOOL.
adsm>
ANR8326I 002: Mount GENERICTAPE volume ADSM01 R/W in drive 5GBTAPEDRIVE
(/dev/rmt0) of library 8MMTAPELIBRARY within 60 minutes.
ANR8335I 002: Verifying label of GENERICTAPE volume ADSM01 in drive
5GBTAPEDRI-
VE (/dev/rmt0).
ANR8328I 002: GENERICTAPE volume ADSM01 mounted in drive 5GBTAPEDRIVE
(/dev/rmt0).
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive 5GBTAPEDRIVE
(/dev/rmt0)
for WRITE operation, errno = -1.
ANR1411W Access mode for volume ADSM01 now set to "read-only" due to write
error.

I have tried for about 24 hours to get this working, deleting the device
class, drive and so on, but just cannot get past this point, and there
seems to be no clue in any of the manuals, or in the FAQ on the ADSM web
site.  Any clues??

Regards,

Stuart