ADSM-L

Re: Oracle question

1998-01-05 11:22:09
Subject: Re: Oracle question
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 09:22:09 -0700
Jim,

I am sure many on this listserver will disagree, but in my experience,
Backtrack is not the preferred method for backing up an Oracle
database.  However, to answer your concerns:

1. There were some buggy earlier versions of backtrack (for Oracle) that
had some very potential problems during restore.  Unless you run very
old code, the product (backtrack) is very reliable.

2. Recovery procedures should come from your DBA group.  They know the
DB and it's internals and the application that is using the DB.
Restoring via backtrack/adsm is one of the most simple procedures
around.  Check the restore portion of the backtrack manual to determine
just how simple it is - given you have everything set up properly.

3. My final suggestion is to use EBU, and when available, recovery
manager.  We use backtrack for Sybase because we have to.  We used
backtrack for Oracle initially because EBU was so terrible.  Now, EBU is
much better than Backtrack - from a performance standpoint.  We never
even considered backtrack for Informix - we went straight to ON-Bar.
However, it must be pointed out that with backtrack, no matter what DB
backend you implement, the backup and recovery procedures for the DBAs
will not change since the "middleman" product never changes.  This can
be helpful if you have alot of turnover or don't like changing
procedures.  From a performance standpoint, Backtrack is not a leader.
If you have any concerns about backup and recovery windows, test each
method with a reasonable amount of data and verify you can achieve them
with your selected solution.

Finally, our DBAs definitely depend on backtrack - they can't live
without it.  Perhaps you need a backtrack evangelist to visit your
site...

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com