ADSM-L

Re: Restore files remotely

1997-12-23 11:56:30
Subject: Re: Restore files remotely
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:56:30 -0600
Johan,

  Administrative clients do not have interfaces to directly perform
restores as if they were the backup client.  However, you can schedule a
restore from the adminstrative client.

There are several options to perform backups to remote clients:
1) Schedule it and have the scheduling client running.  This option is
limited in its capabilities to support complex restores, like pick and
choose types.

2) Use the ADSM WebShell client.  The current implementation of this client
does not meet the needs of a large portion of the ADSM user base.

3) Redirect a remote drive to a local machine and run the backup client
from there.  We use this the most as it is the easiest.  However, it is not
appropriate for large restores, especially over slow links.

4) Use a remote control product.  Many folks use a command line interface
like telnet.  Others, like ourselves, use a desktop remote control product.
 We use Remotely Possible/32.  The upside to either of these solutions is
that they can be used for all kinds of support, not just ADSM.  I have
connected to a server using a 256kb link and been able to work on the
desktop.

I hope this helps,
 Dan T.