ADSM-L

SAP/R3 online backup with backint & ADSM

1997-12-23 07:45:53
Subject: SAP/R3 online backup with backint & ADSM
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 07:45:53 -0500
Our DBA looked at the log file generated by BRBackup for an on-line
backup and got quite nervous -- sveral tablespaces had been switched
into and out of backup mode more than once. Based on previous experience
and Oracle documentation, he has a strong feeling that the online
backups are not valid.

Have any of you used BRBackup, Backint, and ADSM to do an on-line backup
(type=util_file_online) followed by a restore? If so, did the backup put
any tablespace in backup mode more than one time during the run? Did you
have any problems?

We're running SAP/R3 3.0F with the 3.1H kernel upgrade, Oracle 7.3.3
(the reason for the kernel upgrade), ADSM 2.1.5.13 (server) and 2.1.5.6
(client); we've seen this behavior with Backint 2.1.2.1, 2.1.2.7, 2.1.3,
and 2.2.0.

So far, the response from Oracle has been that this is not valid; SAP
indicates that this is a Backint issue, and the Backint support group
indicates that Backint is working as designed and has been SAP certified
for some time.

Us? We're a bit nervous-like, and will be until we get a chance to run
tests of our own.

TIA -

Tom Kauffman
Sr. Technical Analyst