ADSM-L

Re: ADSM directly to tape

1997-12-18 14:06:59
Subject: Re: ADSM directly to tape
From: Virginia Hysock <Virginia_L_Hysock AT CSC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:06:59 -0500
Ann,

     Create a primary storage pool whose device class is cartridge, tape -
whatever you term it in
the server's device configuration file.  In the backup and/or archive copy
group, set the destination
storage pool as the name of that storage pool.  This will send your data
for any client in that backup
copy group directly to tape.

     All of our data goes directly to tape.  We have some storage pools
that are collocated -
and some that are not (personal workstations are considered less important
for restore times and
are therefore not collocated on backup).  Set your maximum scratch volumes
to the total number of
available tapes in your library.   We set the reclamation threshold at 55%
(i.e. when 55% is reclaimable,
recycle the tape).

     Feel free to call me if you would like to talk in further detail.

                         Ginny