ADSM-L

Re: TME product and ADSM

1997-12-11 10:16:24
Subject: Re: TME product and ADSM
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:16:24 -0600
Rod:

IBM's Tivoli TME 10 suite of products was touted as having a "wonderful"
interface for ADSM, however, once the TME 10 suite was brought on board at
my company, I was unimpressed with what the I/F had to offer. There was a
component within TME 10 that would capture messages (from any origin), and
deal with them appropriately (i.e., page an on-call analyst according to an
on-call list, send an e-mail, multiple pages to all concerned individuals,
etc.). This component relied heavily on Netview (and other things I'm sure,
but I don't have absolute specifics), but it seemed to me that I could get
the same results without adding one more software piece to my server group.
The I/F itself was just a pretty front-end that gave the same "look" and
"feel" as the other TME 10 components, but added no value to anything ADSM
was accomplishing (give me something that improves network backup times,
gives any ADSM process further compression during network travel, etc. ---
these were the things I was most interested in).

I had the powers that be here send the TME 10/ADSM interface back to Tivoli
for a software credit. If this is roughly what the vendor was talking about
at the conference, it may not be worth your time and effort. If she was
offering a package that simply trapped messages strictly from ADSM, I'd be
interested in knowing the name and some details (I have a feeling that IBM
would actually be the group that would come up with this one first, but, as
usual,  someone may be trying to get one step ahead of the game.)

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management
GENAM, St. Louis, MO

Rod Hroblak <rhroblak AT DSAVM.E-MAIL DOT COM> on 12/10/97 05:57:39 PM