ADSM-L

Re: Tuning tips?

2015-10-04 18:03:07
Subject: Re: Tuning tips?
From: McGrew, Perry[SMTP:pmcgrew AT AGWAY DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Thanks for feedback...I'm fortunate that I do not have to worry about
bandwith, as the ATM network is for ADSM use.  I will play with
compression but can you tell me what the CPU penalty for using ADSM
compression?
Thanks -- Perry

Lee Russon wrote:

> Perry,
>
> Consider using ADSM compression on your AIX clients as this can
improve network throughput. We tested RS/6000 AIX clients running with
compression and without and found that the backup of data took 3 times
as long without compression. If network bandwidth is not a problem
then leave compression off, but remember that more data will be
processed by the server before the data arrives on tape.

> We transfer all client backup data to a primary disk pool overnight
and copy the disk pool data to tape after all clients have been backed
up. The tapes are then sent to off-site storage. During the day we
migrate data from the disk pool to on-site tape to free up space for
the next nights run. This method seems to work quite well as client
machines do not have to wait for tapes to be mounted and the server
has less data to process.

> The options you use on the clients are very similar to our own, but
you may find that increasing the TXNBytelimit may improve performance
(it all depends on how fast your HP/IBM machines are)