ADSM-L

Re: Exclude *:\WINNT\Profiles\...\*

1997-12-03 21:23:13
Subject: Re: Exclude *:\WINNT\Profiles\...\*
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:23:13 -0500
In <86256562.006E79B7.00 AT loudom2.humana DOT com>, on 12/03/97 at 02:15 PM,
   Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> said:

>One of our Notes administrators reported to me that on one of their
>Win NT servers they are getting annoying nightly failures showing up
>in their event log for these files that are failing to back up:
>C:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator.000\NTUSER.DAT
>C:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator.000\ntuser.dat.LOG
>C:\WINNT\Profiles\OPR2952\NTUSER.DAT
>C:\WINNT\Profiles\OPR2952\ntuser.dat.LOG

>I think I asked a question out here about these type files before,
>and I believe I was told that it meant someone was logged on at that
>machine, and those were just fairly unimportant wallpaper-type
>configuration files.  Our Notes admin says no one is logged on at
>that machine, and wants to exclude them in the DSM.OPT.
>I have a couple questions ...

>1. What causes those files,normally, to not back up?  Is it only
>because someone is logged on?

It is because the files are open.  The server could just need
rebooting too, since NT does occassionally decide to keep files open
and locked just for fun :)

>2. Is it OK to just exclude them in the DSM.OPT?  I don't know what
>we'd be missing if we didn't have them..

Doesn't seem to make any difference, in my experience.  Especially not
on a server anyhow (who cares what colour it is and whether or not the
background is the right kind of tartan rug?  If it works properly you
never see it, anyhow).

I also exclude a couple of other things under the WINNT tree, such as
the spool directories, because they often cause spurrious error
messages too.

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key