ADSM-L

Deleting backed up files

2015-10-04 18:03:49
Subject: Deleting backed up files
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 11/25/97 3:14PM
It sounds as though you have done as much as is practical.  We have had the
same experiences - with us it was a lawyer who did it - but it's better not
to go there.

When you put the files in the exclude list, ADSM will keep inactive copies of
the files, according to the policy domain rules you have established.
Unfortunately, the information in the policy domain is only applied to
"included" files (not excluded) so you can't apply a special management class to
the files with 0 for the only copy  count.  About all you can do is wait for the
deleted copy expiration period to complete.  In my case, I had to reassure the
lawyer that the only person who could see the files was him.

The only was I can think of to insure that the backups of the files are
completely deleted is to delete the entire backup for the drive.  This is indeed
a drastic step - and it is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Probably something that you don't want to do.

I assume that the original file still exists..... if it is sensitive, and your
customer is a pain, you could temporarily rename the file, then create a dummy
file, remove the exclude statement, back up the file, then add the exclude
statement back, delete the dummy, and rename your file.  Then if you run your
incremental, the original backup should be gone.  (This whole scenario, of
course, assumes that the "only copy" count is set to 1.  If it is not, rerun the
backup step until you have enough backups of the dummy file to equal the count.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    11/25/97 3:14 PM

Hi, another question :
        I backed up unwanted files among the good ones and now I want to delete
those files. I do know their names and I already updated the
INCLUDE/EXCLUDE list (so this won't happen again). I see the filespaces
from those drives but I cannot get the detail from the backup. How do I do
it ? 1) Delete the unwanted files and 2) Get the detail from one specific
filespace backup.

Thanks again for your time (and acknowledge)... Oscar Omar