ADSM-L

Bulk Eject on 3494

1997-11-25 09:00:00
Subject: Bulk Eject on 3494
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 07:00:00 MST
  This is a question about the IBM 3494 tape library we have attached to our
ADSM server. We have ADSM running on AIX4.1.4 and ADSM version 2.1.5.13.

  We have a tapepool that is copied to a copypool and ejected for off-site
storage nightly. We have the 10 tape-slot I/O station on this system, but our
problem is that we are now backing up so much data that it wants to eject more
than 10 tapes. The problem we are experiencing on the 3494 is that after it
puts the 10 tapes into the I/O slots, the robot arm will just sit there and
wait till they are removed from the slot. The robot arm will not dismount
or mount any tapes until these tapes are removed.
  We have operators to remove these tapes, but they cannot always get to the
machine immediately and the server's tape mount requests just back up, and the
server sits idle.
  Our hopeful solution to this problem is to convert the door itself into a
"bulk I/O station" with 80 slots. That means that these slots can't be used for
tape storage, but we have the slots to spare for now.
  Our IBM CE has "taught" the library to see the door as a bulk I/O station,
but ADSM keeps ejecting the tapes in the 10 slot I/O station instead of the
bulk area.
  After researching this for 2 days and talking to many IBM folks, I am still
unable to figure out how to do it. From what I am gathering, when ADSM does a
"checkout libvol TAPELIB3 C00000 rem=yes", it communicates to the 3494 that it
should change that volume's category to "FF10" for "regular eject". I have also
found out that the category I want it to be changed to is "FF11" for "bulk
eject". (these categories are the ones on the os/2 machine in the 3494, not in
the ADSM database).
  I find that the "mtlib" command run at the AIX prompt will change those
categories, but I want the "checkout libvol" command from ADSM to just change
it to the right category. Is there a parameter I have to set with an
"update library" or "update dev" command?
  Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to drone on, but I thought I'd explain
it as much as I could.

Thanks,
Ben Bullock
Micron Technology