ADSM-L

Re: ADSMconnect for SQL Server

1997-11-24 08:06:35
Subject: Re: ADSMconnect for SQL Server
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:06:35 -0500
Answers embedded below and marked with ">>"...

Hi

We are planning to use the new ADSMConnect agent for backing up a  SQL
server. The following questions where raised by the client. Can
somebody please confirm whether the following can be done.

* Be able to backup and restore directly from tape.
>> Yes.  This was tested with the GA code and works.  Make sure you have
>> the "Wait for tape mounts" options checked in the GUI options Editor or
>> specify "/MOUNTWAIT:YES" when using the command line client.

* Be able to do full database backups whilst SQL Server is up and
running.
>> Yes. This is supported.

* Be able to run command files / jobs before and after the backups.
>> This can be done by a batch or script file.  You can surround
>> a call to the command line client with any commands you like.
>> For example:
>>      REM Backup the "customer" database
>>      call before.bat
>>      sqldsmc /backupfull:customer /mountwait:yes
>>      call after.bat

* Be able to do table backups whilst SQL Server is up and running.
>> No. Table level granularity backups are not supported in Version 1.1.

* Be able to backup the Transaction Logs at regular intervals
>> Yes.  This can be done using the ADSM V3 scheduler (base client)
>> or other scheduler programs like the Windows "AT" command.

* When backing up the transaction logs, be able to specify options
e.g. truncate etc
>> Yes.

* Be able to recover the database to a point in time i.e. Restore the
full backup and roll forward the transactions logs to a specific point
in time.
>> Yes. This is easiest through the GUI.

* Be able to move the database and transaction log backups between
servers.
>> No. This is not supported in Version 1.1.

* Be able to restore just a table from a full database backup.
>> No. This is not supported in Version 1.1.
>>

>> Del Hoobler
>> ADSM Development

Thanks.

Eugene