ADSM-L

Re: Time to update db to V3

1997-11-17 07:16:47
Subject: Re: Time to update db to V3
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:16:47 +0000
As part of the ESP we upgraded a 34GB database (on AIX) from V2 to V3 and
the time taken was about the same :  about 10 minutes in all.

Be aware though that doing the upgradedb does not upgrade the archive
entries, this happens later and is triggered on a per-client basis when
the client next uses the GUI to archive/retrieve files.  The client is
warned that this may take a long time and asked if they would like to go
ahead now and do it.  For information we said yes to about 100,000
archived files for a client and the upgrade took only a few minutes.

[There is a new feature at V3 where archived files are "bundled" together
by their "description".  When you start archive GUI the files in a bundle
are displayed together using the "bundle description".  This packaging
might make it easier to keep related files together within archive.  When
you click on the bundle it expands into the file tree.  The upgrade action
retrospectively builds bundles if you have archived using descriptions at
V2.  So you need to tell users about this and you need a V3 client as well
as a V3 server.]

Hope this helps. Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275