ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Tape Performance

1997-11-14 15:44:45
Subject: Re: 3590 Tape Performance
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:44:45 -0500
That depends -- is the data already compressed, or is the drive doing
the compression on-the-fly? And are these small files or large? In our
environment (ADSM storage pool on SSA drives - but not raid) with the
'small' files in the 20 to 40 MB range, and the drive doing on-the-fly
compression (averaging about 2.5 to 1) we were getting up to 7 MB/sec.
The usual speed was in the 4.4 to 4.7 MB/sec, and it was SSA drive
limited. I'm not sure about the transfer rate on SSA raid - SSA *loop*
performance is very good, but individual SSA *drives* don't perform
quite as well as the equivalent SCSI drives.

Tom Kauffman
Sr. Technical Analyst
NIBCO, Inc.