ADSM-L

Server requirements

1997-11-13 23:37:10
Subject: Server requirements
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:37:10 -0800
We are in the process of reconsidering our ADSM hardware and I'd
like to hear any thoughts folks might have on specs, and also
ideas about how to set things up.

Is there anybody who is running a UNIX ADSM server on the same
machine as their main file servers (in order to do shared memory
backups)? What type of performance impact on the rest of the
machine does this incur during, say, restores when database
searching is happening?

We are currently on a 66MHz wide-node of an SP2, with database
and storage pool volumes on a single RAID5 device. The disks
seems to be a huge bottleneck whenever there is heavy database
activity.

We've considered an 4-way R50 with lots of I/O, and potentially a
HiPPi adapter for our fileserver backups, with ATM to the rest of
the network.

Do most people have databases on SSA or SCSI disks? Or are folks
using RAID for databases?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on proper sizing for an AIX or
Solaris box to run as an ADSM server.

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   DBA, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>