ADSM-L

Re: 3490E Tape Capacity

1997-11-12 12:13:28
Subject: Re: 3490E Tape Capacity
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:13:28 -0600
3490e carts hold 720 meg non compressed.  If hardware compression yeilds 2:1
then getting 1.3-1.4 gig per tapes is doing well.  As far as your Sterling
backup software is concerned, does it do it's own compression?  What blksize
does it use?  We use FDR, and not only does it do compression, it also writes
larger than 32K block sizes (not readable by anything but FDR) such that *most*
of our 3390-3 (2.7 Gig) backups will fit on 1 cart.

ADSM writes 32760 or smaller blocksizes (at least in AIX).  Smaller blksizes
mean more IRGs and less data per cart.

I run with compression turned on for most clients, and I'm seeing a range of
820-905 MEG per cart with the average somewhere around 850 each. :)

-Al