ADSM-L

Re: Win NT Remote Restores

1997-11-11 12:00:29
Subject: Re: Win NT Remote Restores
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:00:29 -0600
Gavin,

 There are currently 4 methods to do remote restores that I am aware of:
 1) Use a remote control software package to gain access to the machine's
desktop.  We use Remotely Possible 32 in our shop with good results.

 2) Run the backup client software on machine A, but using machine B's
nodename.  To actually restore to machine B you must redirect that
machine's hard drive to machine A.  We use this technique most often.  We
have a little visual basic program to initiate the backup client software
with the -nodename that we pass it.  We also have administrative accounts
on our domains.  This allows us to redirect any administrative shares like
C$ etc.  The main disadvantage is that you should not use this technique
for large restores as it adds extra network overhead.

3)  ADSM Webshell interface.  As you know, this is not really a great
option at the
    current code level.

4) Schedule it and use the adsm client in sched mode.

Good luck,
  Dan T.