ADSM-L

Moving stgpool's from one server to another...

1997-11-05 11:09:55
Subject: Moving stgpool's from one server to another...
From: Randy Hessey <RHessey AT EMCOLTD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 11:09:55 -0500
We are moving hard platforms from IBM J40 to IBM SP. Our production
Backup, Archive, and Copy Pools reside on the J40 and I would like to
MOVE them to the newly installed server on the SP. The tape drive type
used for the Copy and Archive Pools is the same as we are using on the
SP (Magstar 3570), however the Backup Pool is on a different drive type.
(No DASD Pools).

The ideas I have had so far for the Backup Pool are:
1. Bring all CopyPool Tapes onsite load them into the SP's 3570 and do a
RESTORE STGPOOL to recreate the Backup Pool.

2.  Simply point the clients at the SP Server and rebuild the Backup
Pool from scratch, but then I lose my inactive files.

The ideas I have had so far for the Archive Pool are:
1. Since the J40 has only 3570 Drive, I can't make a CopyPool of the
Archive Pool. The idea here would be to use option 1 above for the
Archive Pool.

2. Is there some way of rebuilding an Archive Storage Pool from it's
volumes?

Randy Hessey
EMCO Distribution Group
1108 Dundas Street,