ADSM-L

Ongoing Tape Woes

1997-11-04 09:57:51
Subject: Ongoing Tape Woes
From: Sean Garvey <sgarvey AT PHAEDO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:57:51 -0500
Hello all, again,

I have 2 questions again.
To recap: I have 4 3590's in a 3494 ATL.  I have about 1200 tapes total in
my drm rotation right now.

   PERTINENT SETTINGS:
        a) VERSIONS EXIST value of 40,
        b) VERSIONS DELETED value of 1
        c) Retention Extra/Only Version of No Limit.
        d) Pct. Reclaimable of %90
        e) Reuse Delay of 45.

Question #1
   1.) As far as the number of tapes needed: I am checking out a larger number
        of tapes a day than I am checking in.  I am of the opinion that this
        will always be the case, due to the settings above.  Do I need to stop
        fooling myself, and just admit that I will have to buy a (rather large)
        number of tapes a year to avoid running out of Scratch tapes?  What
        are my other options, if any?

Question #2 (This is a multi-parted question.)

   2.) As far as tapes "going bad":  I have a certain percentage of tapes that
        have been declared "read-only" and "unavailable" by ADSM.  Some of the
        former ones have actually been physically set to read-only.  By what,
        I don't know.  Do 3590's have the intelligence to do that?  Anyway.
        What is /are the proper the procedure(s) for dealing with these "bad
        tapes"?  I would like to avoid "move data" (of course).
        Is there any way I can automate any of the procedure(s)?  Are there
        reasons I shouldn't?

Thank you for your input in advance.

Sean

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0

Sean P. Garvey                                  phone: (703) 205-6822
Value Behavioral Health                         beeper:(800) 381-9779

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0