ADSM-L

AW: Bare metal restore from a CD .....

1997-11-03 02:55:22
Subject: AW: Bare metal restore from a CD .....
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:55:22 +0100
Michael,
to provide disaster recovery for the system drives, we're trying out a
tool called ghost professional (from ghost software). It allows to do a
kind of intelligent image copy after you just booted DOS (which is
simple using only one floppy disk).
The type of filesystem (FAT, NTFS, HPFS...) is unimportant to ghost, I
tried to copy a complete NTFS partition and ghost had no problems. The
image is written to one or more files on al local FAT filesystem or any
network resource that is accessible after having booted DOS.
When restoring, ghost can resize the destination partition and create an
NTFS partition on its own without using NT's functions. So, when you've
copied the image file to a cdrom, you can restore the system partition
using only one floppy disk and one CDROM. As you need the CDROM writer
only to create the cdrom and not to read from it, you don't need
additional hardware for your recovery.

We're going to try out the tool on our larger systems (until now I only
tested on small "play"-servers). I'll post a report about our
experiences later.

Regards,
Michael
--