ADSM-L

Space Reclaimation of the COPYPOOL

1997-10-30 14:05:04
Subject: Space Reclaimation of the COPYPOOL
From: Naveed Mustafa <Naveed_Mustafa AT MCKINSEY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 14:05:04 -0500
Hi there,

We are running ADSM server version of 2.1.0.12 on AIX 4.1.5.  I have a
question regarding the reclaimation of the offsite Copy storage pool
volume.

We have 10 tape drives in the library.  Every Saturday at 7:00 AM, we start
the backup of our primary storage pools to the copy pool and around 9:30
AM, again on Saturday, we lower the reclaimation threshold of the copy pool
in order to reclaim tapes from the copy pool.  For the backup of the
primary storage pool to the COPYPOOL, we have set the MAXPROCESS=6 so this
process  can utilize 6 out of 10 tape drives.  The rest of the 4 are
available for Space Reclaimation of the COPYPOOL and for the scheduled
client backups.

Will the space reclaimation of the offsite volumes of the COPYPOOL occupy
all the remaining 4 drives?  If yes, then it will be a problem for the
scheduled backups due to the lack of available tape drives.  Is there a way
so that I can assign only 2 drives for this space reclaimation process and
the rest of the 2 are available for the backups?  Does anyone has
implemented a process to do that?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Naveed.