ADSM-L

Re: Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Historical Backups

1997-10-28 15:45:35
Subject: Re: Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Historical Backups
From: Sean Garvey <sgarvey AT PHAEDO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:45:35 -0500
Hi.
(Please excuse the length of this inquiry.  Thank you.)

        Like to clear up some facts in a question asked a little earlier
        and ask another question.

THE OTHER QUESTION: What are the benefits of having multiple ADSM Servers?
                    It seems that the administrative overhead would double
                    at least.

BACKGROUND FOR MAIN QUESTION:
1.) In regard to legal requirements for data retention (7yrs.):
   a.) We have tried archiving, however due to a number of factors we decided
        to not go with it.
        1.) First, it took all of our resources (drives, tape drives,
            max. allowable sessions, etc.) to run in a timely fashion
            e.g. a weekend.  That necessitated that we suspend our
            incremental backups for the weekend, which in turn exposed
            our data to a 36-48 hour risk.
        2.) Second, administratively, it was a nightmare to get all
            the clients to run parallel enough to fit in their window.
            If any little thing went wrong the rest of the archives would
            be affected.
        3.) Thirdly, it was entirely dependant on flawless uptime for the
            network (HA!) and no down time for any of the clients, cutting
            drastically (in 1/2) my available system maintenance downtime.

   b.) The benefits of using "export node filedata=backupactive" were as
        follows:
        1.) Eliminate dependance on system and network availability.
        2.) Consumes only 1/2 of tape drives (2 of 4) eliminating
            the need and therefore the risk of having to suspend the
            incremental backup cycle.
        3.) Simpler to administrate.

       1st run was successful, 8 tapes about 300GB.
       2nd run, about a month later, was successful sorta, 4 tapes
        about 115GB.  No clients had been removed, no significant
        amounts of data had been deleted or moved.

QUESTION: Why would the amount of backup active data be cut in half?
          Or is their a bug?  It should be approximately the same amount
          of data, or perhaps a bit more, every month.  Since then I have
          not been able to get the thing to run to completion (box hangs,
          crashes, etc..).

The answers I've received from IBM I can't bear to repeat in public.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0

Sean P. Garvey                                  phone: (703) 205-6822
Value Behavioral Health                         beeper:(800) 381-9779

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0