ADSM-L

Re: SCSI vs SSA Disk

1997-10-28 14:55:30
Subject: Re: SCSI vs SSA Disk
From: Benjamin Kokenge <benk AT HSTN.GEOBANK.PGS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:55:30 -0600
.

        I am not sure if it is released yet, but IBM is suppose to come
        out with an SSA controller that yields 160MB/sec.  This is all
        find and dandy, but you have to remember that the micro-channel
        bus on you R30 is only rated at 160MB/sec. So, if you put one of
        those controllers on a bus (there are two buses per board: 0,1),
        then it would hose that whole bus.  A fast wide diff SCSI bus
        is rated at 20MB/sec, but I believe SCSI is a dirty protocol, so
        if you can get that out of it, good for you.  Anyway I have been
        very satisfied with our SSA setups, and if you are worried about
        bang for the buck, then it should be noted that SSA's have droped
        in price to about equal with their SCSI cousins. The SSA controllers,
        however, are a bit pricey.

--
        Regards,
        Regards,