ADSM-L

SCSI vs SSA Disk

1997-10-28 12:19:00
Subject: SCSI vs SSA Disk
From: Debbie Lane <DLane AT MSSMTP.MSMAILGW.INTERMEC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:19:00 PST
Hi,
I am preparing to test ADSM 2.1.0.6 with SQL BackTrack 2.2.1.  We are using
the IBM "Magstar" 3494 tape library with two 3590 tape heads, which is
connected to our ADSM server via fast-wide SCSI.    We will be backing up
four RS6000s model R30 which house Oracle V7 applications, and one
additional RS6000 model 59H which is our Admin. server, and ADSM server.
 The R30s all have SSA disk, and the 59H has SCSI disk.  The RS6000s are on
a FDDI ring.   We are acquiring additional disk, on the 59H, for the ADSM
DB,  for now we will not be using ADSM disk storage pools, backups will go
directly to tape.
We want to mirror the ADSM DB, so we are purchasing separate controller
cards, for the mirrored disk.  My question is, will SCSI or SSA give us more
bang for our buck?  It seems to me that I have heard of performance issues
regarding SCSI disk and ADSM...
The future holds SAP over Oracle on the RS6000s.  If this test is
satisfactory, we will also use ADSM to backup NT, and SUN servers.
I am relatively new to this environment (Unix, ADSM and Oracle)  any other
tips for a successful implementation will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb