ADSM-L

Re: Observations on Restore Volume

1997-10-24 21:27:11
Subject: Re: Observations on Restore Volume
From: David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 21:27:11 -0400
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Restore Volume.  As you are now aware,
restoring files from a non-collocated copy pool to a collocated pool can be
painfully slow.  IMHO, this is not a fundamental design deficiency with this
operation, but is a natural consequence of moving data from non-collocated
sequential volumes to a collocated target pool.  To minimize mounts in the
target storage pool, files are copied by node/filespace and the extra
processing to do this can be significant.  The same problem can occur for
Restore Stgpool, which works in a very similar manner.

However, you do not need to avoid these operations as you would the plague,
since there are a some things you can do to greatly improve performance.

o If you have not applied the PTF with the fix for APAR PN87901, please
  do so.  For the AIX V2 server, that should be level 10.
o As explained in the closing text for PN87901, it is usually much
  faster to restore data from your non-collocated copy pool to a disk
  pool and then let the data migrate to the collocated pool.  This may
  seem like a roundabout way to do things, but the overall throughput
  is usually *much* better.
o Migrate to Version 3. Restore Volume and Restore Stgpool were not
  specifically redesigned in Version 3. However, Version 3 does use a new
  storage model called file aggregation which should greatly improve
  performance   for certain operations involving files that have been backed
  up or archived   to a Version 3 server.  Restore Volume and and Restore
  Stgpool should both  perform much better for such files.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development

        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        10-24-97 09:01 AM