ADSM-L

AW: Shared Directories on Windows NT

1997-10-24 04:17:06
Subject: AW: Shared Directories on Windows NT
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:17:06 +0100
Oscar,
that can be dangerous territory...
You won't have any problems, when all groups and users having specific
rights on any directories in the shared drive are domain groups and
domain users.
When you use local groups and users on one machine, these are not known
on other machines, including the machine that performs the backup. Now
when you do the restore, ADSM seems unable to restore the old userrights
as user and group information is unavailable. I checked this out and got
at least acceptable results for restoring files (only part of the rights
missing), but a disaster restoring directories (the created structure
just inherited all rights from the parent dirs).

It all works fine, when both machines are either backup domain controler
or domain controler, as all domain controlers hold the same users
database, so you don't get problems with locally defined users.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl