ADSM-L

Backing up 80000+ files

1997-10-23 17:06:53
Subject: Backing up 80000+ files
From: Hictor Blanquer <hblanque AT SARENET DOT ES>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:06:53 +0100
Hi.

We're experiencing an extremely poor performance (less than 1k/s) when
backing up directories with more than 80.000 files (no matter what
size).

ADSM Server 2.1.0.9
ADSM Client 2.1.0.6    Both residing on the same OS/2 Warp 3.0 box
(32 Megs of RAM & Pentium 200)

Another funny thing is that:
 Archiving (or backing up) the 1st file in the directory takes 30 secs
> dsmc archive C:\TEST\AAAAAAAA.TXT

But archiving the last one takes just 1 second
>dsmc archive C:\TEST\ZZZZZZZZ.TXT

(Both files are 2k in size)

The performance improves if we reduce the number of files in the
directory, the problem is that we are using an application that will not
allow us to store its files separately in different directories
VisualInfo).

Has anybody seen anything of the sort ??

Thanks a lot.
Hector