ADSM-L

Re: NT Service and Logical Drives

1997-10-22 10:45:36
Subject: Re: NT Service and Logical Drives
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:45:36 -0700
We backup many logical drives without problems, as long as we have them
labeled, so you probably need to look at NT access rights. Did you see
the post from Michael Bartl

"The user you created has to be in the group "backup operators". Given
the user has this access right, ADSM can backup any drive (with
volumelabel...) without having any rights on the directory structure.
Additionally ADSM needs to get access to the root entry of the drive."

Also from Michael, but I'm not sure it pertains to NT is the following:

"Make sure, you put at least an entry "ADSMTEST (CI)R" (browse dir) into
the acl of only the root entry (not for the whole structure)."

When we first setup ADSM, we backed up one server with a RAID array
divided into 24 logical drives, c: through Z:, and on our first backup,
two drives were not seen by ADSM, Neither myself or our network
administrator remember exactly what we did, but it had to with NT
security on the root, which fits in with Michaels note. If you are
backing up any othr logical drives, you might compare the security
settings on those with the two that are currently causing you grief.
Sorry I can't be more specific.