ADSM-L

Re: File Ownership

2015-10-04 18:04:42
Subject: Re: File Ownership
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 10/20/97 11:02AM
I think perhaps I may have confused things here - sorry for the distractions.

The only "ownership" that can be determined is actually "implied" - that is,
if I do a Q Backup on Node XYZ, then all of the files belong to that node.
If I try to merge the Q backup commands from several nodes, then I must do
something to help carry this implied ownership forward.

If you are looking to do something such as identify who a file belongs to on
a machine, such as on a file server, that information is unavailable.  An
example would be with a NetWare or NT server, with multiple users - the
information on which individual owns what file on the NetWare or NT box is
not tracked, as far as I know.

Sorry if I caused confusion.....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    10/20/97 11:02 AM

Jerry,
Thanks for the input.  I've tried the "Query backup", but the listing does not
include file ownerships.
Am I missing some kind of options or something?

Thomas F. Sandholm
Sr. UNIX Administrator
Consumer Driven Solutions Unit
IBM