ADSM-L

Re: Connecting 3494/3590s to UNIX and MVS

1997-10-17 12:18:49
Subject: Re: Connecting 3494/3590s to UNIX and MVS
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:18:49 -0500
     Hello,

     Here at ZKI (Zurich Kemper Investments) our 3494/3490E (the drive type
     didn't come into play) is connected to MVS/AIX.

     Our ADSM server is on AIX.

     Hardware/connections are as follows:

     12 3490E's on C2A controllers (2 drives per controller)

     Each controller has 1 escon and 1 scsi adapter.  Escon goes to MVS (1
     channel per controller).

     Scsi goes to AIX such that 3 cables consisting of 2 controllers daisy
     chained (4 drives) are hooked to SCSI-2FW cards in AIX (R30 machine).

     On both platforms, all drives are defined, however in MVS, MIM
     controls which ATL drives are on-line (we run multiple lpars, and all
     lpars can get at any on-line ATL drives which is 6).

     In ADSM, the six drives not on-line to mvs are DEFined DRives, the
     others are not.  We chose to use drives names ATLnnn where nnn = the
     MVS ucb.  The hardest part was figuring out which /dev/rmtx mapped to
     which ucb.  You can use mtlib in AIX to get the ATL to mount/unmount a
     vol to each drive and then go look.

     Volsers: MVS uses all numeric ones (ie 543219, etc)
              ADSM uses tapes with the pattern Annnnn.

     We use CA-1 on MVS, and there was an OAM exit that needed to be coded
     (cbruxent, we used the one supplied with CA-1) which presents each
     volser in 'insert' category (ff00) to CA-1 to find out if it should be
     owned by MVS.  Since the Annnnn tapes are not defined in the CA-1
     inventory, they don't get changed.  A script in AIX then finds all
     these tapes, and builds ADSM CHECKIn LIBVolume commands.

     The initial setup took some time to figure out.  We were one of the
     first shops around Chicago with this setup (8+ mos ago), and I didn't
     have any source like this one to go to.

     Hope this helps,
     Al Barth

YOU WROTE -
Author:  "Stiehm; Faye A (SAIC)" <StiehmFA AT BP DOT COM> at ~Internet
Date:    10/16/97 10:53 PM

Hi.

I recall a note not too long ago about connecting this hardware both to
MVS and UNIX.  Someone responded that they were doing it and it was
working well.  Would that person be so kind as to tell me what your
environment is and how you are using these drives.

Thank you very much.

Faye Stiehm
Systems Analyst
SAIC