ADSM-L

File Ownership

2015-10-04 18:04:42
Subject: File Ownership
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 10/16/97 5:11PM
From the admin client, I know of no easy way to get this information.  There
is no Query content by node command.  What you could do, though.....

1.  Issue a Query Content for a given volume, routing the information to a
disk file.  If you did this for all tapes, you could then use some other tool
to process the information.  Of course, if you have very many clients, the
output of this type of effort would quickly become immense.

2.  If you want to do this from the backup client, there is an easier way -
you can do a Q backup command (or a Q archive).  Again the information could
be routed to a flat file on the client.  If you are trying to get this info
centrally, though, you could have a fun time trying to get the information
moved to there.

As an editorial comment, we worried about knowing what was backed up when we
first started using ADSM in a pilot, but quickly came to realize that the
amount of data that was being collected was more than you wanted to keep
track of.  We quickly decided that because of the design of the product,
doing so could at best be described as busy work, and perhaps insane would be
better.  In reality, we decided that the clients have the need; not the
central administrator - they can use the Q backup/archive and GUI functions
to do this, and if we lost a tape, the Q Content could be used from our end.
So, in the best Alfred E. Newman tradition, we decided to take a "What, me
worry?" approach to the whole issue.

I know you didn't ask for the last part, but.....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    10/16/97 5:11 PM

I'm trying to find a way to list all files that have been archived/backed up,
that includes
the owner and group ID's in the listing.  I realize that the GUI adsm client
can provide this
information, but I'm attempting to do this from the command line, using dsmc.
Any suggestions?

Thomas F. Sandholm
 UNIX Administrator
Consumer Driven Solutions Unit