ADSM-L

Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools

1997-10-15 07:59:32
Subject: Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:59:32 +0200
Hi,

At 22:29 10.10.97 -0400, you wrote:
>We _do_ want backups from both nodes to be capable of running
>simultaneously.  We _do_ want to prevent mixing node backups on one
>tape (did I word that right?).  But we do _not_ want to be constrained
>in such a way that the tapes intended for a specific node must be
>mounted in a specific drive; and (more importantly) we do _not_ want
>to be unable to do backups when one of the drives is failed (as it
>is right now, for the fourth time).

We do have the same problem at the moment. We've two DLT 4500
libraries connected to the ADSM server. Each library has to be
defined as an ADSM library with its own deviceclass and storage
pools. That means that each storage pool is bound to one device
class and one of the two libraries. If one of the DLT changers
is in use or if it fails, we're not able to run the backup or restore
using the other changer.
The problem is that it's not possible to define the same deviceclass
in both ADSM libraries. You have to define dltclass1 and dltclass2
and a storage pool can be either bound to dltclass1 or dltclass2.

Maybe there is a solution but I don't see it.

Regards,
Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universität Osnabrück       Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrück
Germany