ADSM-L

Reclamation Process, continued...

1997-10-14 13:20:20
Subject: Reclamation Process, continued...
From: David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:20:20 -0400
Hi, again, ADSMers,

Thanks for all the responses to my original posting about reclamation.
I'm always impressed with the quantity and quality of information you
provide.  Everything I support should have a forum like this.

I do need to rephrase  my original question.  It concerns the lag time
between when inventory expiration ends and a reclamation process
begins.

I do my expire inventory daily as the beginning of my job stream.  The
flow is:  EXPIRE INVENTORY => check for reclamation process => Flush
Disk storage pool => Reset disk storage pool thresholds => Backup
ADSM database => backup Devconfig and Volhist.

I have set up scripts to get the server process ID, and check it
periodically.  When the process goes away, I check the activity log for
successful completion messages before proceeding to the next job.

Where this whole scheme falls down is the "check for reclamation
process".  It may not, and usually DOES NOT, start immediately after the
"EXPIRE INVENTORY".  It may take 30-45 minutes for reclamation process
to start.  In the meantime, my disk storage pool migration has kicked off
and is taking up both tape drives, so reclamation must wait until both
drives are released.

Why does ADSM wait so long after inventory expiration to kick off the
reclamation process.  How long should I wait after inventory expiration to
see if a reclamation job has started?

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
David Wilshire, Systems Administrator