ADSM-L

Re: ADSM DRM

1997-10-13 15:16:08
Subject: Re: ADSM DRM
From: Ray Pratts <pratts AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:16:08 -0500
Pieter,

I will be happy to share my experiences.  I plan to begin the
configuration next week (10/20/97).  The current environment includes
one AIX 4.1.5 590 as the server.  The clients include three 595s, four
SP nodes, three Compaqs running NT Server, and one SGI as clients.  The
amount of data that is being backed up is about 300 GB from the
RS/6000s, 100 GB from the Compaqs and 20 GB from the SGI. The back pool
is on a 3494 ATL with two 3590 drives.  The three 595s and four SP nodes
are also running HSM to a 45GB disk pool (The HSM disk pool has not yet
been set up to migrate to tape).

The trick to making all this work has been to take break it into small
pieces.  If I had tried to set everything up all at once I
would have been overwhelmed.  In the future I see the possibility of
increasing the number of drives in the 3494.  As the users become more
accustomed to using the Archive/Retrieve functions two drives may not be
enough.  I also expect to change the standard Management Class as our
understanding of what we can do grows.

As I learn more about DRM, I'll let know you what I find out.

Regards,

Ray Pratts

Pinnacle Computer Solutions
Houston, Tx