ADSM-L

ADSM on VM

1997-10-13 07:58:31
Subject: ADSM on VM
From: "Moir,Elizabeth" <Betsy.Moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 06:58:31 -0500
To: OAS     --LMS1

FROM: Betsy Moir (TTCEDM) Ext 85020
      VM Tech Services
      email:  betsy.moir AT abbott DOT com

We're using ADSM V2 on VM, and we're expecting it to be a big contributor
to keeping our VM machine alive and well until the Server mania levels out
a little and people get back to choosing platforms for their effectiveness
in solving business problems.  The more useful and effective the ADSM
product becomes the better we can promote its use.  There are those in our
VM group that feel that IBM is abandoning us.  We keep promoting VM's
virtues for things and are continually confronted with the argument that
even IBM doesn't care about VM anymore why should we develop on it.
Thanks for asking.

Betsy
*** Forwarding note from OWNERAD1--INTERNET 97/10/12 06:13 ***

TO:         NOREPLY  INTERNET  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
FROM:       OWNERAD1 INTERNET  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
DATE:       10/12/97 06:13
SUBJECT:    ADSM on VM
>>>hmmmm... time for an electronic show of hands! How many listers are
>>>using ADSM on VM (be it version 1 or version 2)? Will not having V3
>>>force your company/institution rethink ADSM as your backup
>>>solution?
>>

>South Dakota State University is running ADSM Version 2 on VM 2.2.0.
>We recently used ADSM VM as part of our justification to upgrade our
>processor to a Multiprise 2000.  Currently we are trying to get
>approval for RAMAC and Magstar technology.  Again we are using
>ADSM VM as justification.   Without ADSM VM we probably
>will not move to RAMAC and Magstar.  Although we have OS/390
>running as a guest under VM, we have no intention of moving ADSM
>to it.  Our Netware people have been waiting for improvements
>in performance on Version 3.  Without a version 3 VM server
>we will be forced to move our Netware backups to non IBM software and
>hardware.

We have ADSM version 1 under VM/ESA 1.2.1 and ADSM version 2 under
VM/ESA 2.1.0.  We need ADSM version 3 available to VM/ESA so that we
can offer services which match non IBM software and hardware - otherwise
our customers will find a different solution.

Cecelia Dusha
US Army Systems Programmer
dusha AT pentagon-hqdadss.army DOT mil