ADSM-L

Re: Speeding up Win NT client

1997-10-10 14:18:52
Subject: Re: Speeding up Win NT client
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:18:52 -0500
Hey J,

  I think you would be better served by verifying the bottleneck
specifically.  I do not know if you have used the NT performance monitor
before.  It works quite well, IMHO.  The 4 primary keys to NT performance
are CPU, DISK throughput, Network IO throughput and MEMORY!!.  Performance
monitor has the capabilty to effectively monitor each of these as well as
showing the "working set" (total resource approximation) of each process.
This latter will show if anyone is a hog.

The ability to use the monitor would fill up several pages.  Essentially,
monitor a group, such as network card io, and can look at specifics for
this card.  For example, if the buffer of the network card contains more
than 1 or 2 packets consistently then either the card or the network is a
bottleneck.

FYI TCP/IP can be bound to multiple NICs.  However, I do not know if a
socket will initialize on the least used card nor if once a socket
initializes it always stays with the same card.  I think it will stay with
the same card because a 'multihomed' box will have different IP addresses
for each card.

As we discussed before, we get around our large notes directory problem by
running two incrementals and splitting the directories into different nodes
by using 2 different dsm.opts with mutually exclusive EXCLUDE parms.

Let me know if I can help.

  Dan T.