ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & NETBACKUP

1997-10-09 04:46:27
Subject: Re: ADSM & NETBACKUP
From: Brian Johnson <smbxj01 AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:46:27 +0000
Vinu Simon wrote:

> Has anyone on this list used Netbackup and can anyone tell me some
> comparisions between them ? I mean advantages of ADSM over Netbackup.

Vinu,

Veritas Netbackup has mainly performance advantages over ADSM
We use it for large systems, i.e., where a single UNIX box has a
capacity of over 100GB
Netbackup will multiplex backups, i.e., it is able to backup many files
at the same time(upto 32) from the same client or one file each from 32
clients to the same tape at the same time. We have seen speeds of about
90GB per hour with netbackup.

The only problem is that restores are a heck of a lot slower, it can be
days to restore a few hundred gigabytes, ooooh dear!!

Netbackup has also had centralised logging on the server for about 3
years. ADSM V3 will provide this though.

Another nig advantage is that Netbackup will backup and archive
Character Special and raw volumes. You can even backup a mixture of
files with one command, i.e. if you want to backup /fred filesystem and
it contains normal files, links, character or block special, or raw
volumes the equivalent of a dsmc sel /fred will do the lot, Netbackup
will work out what type of file it is backing up.

As far as disaster recovery, you can recover a system using Netbackup
from a "bare tin box" and have been able to do so for over 3 years.

Netbackup server code is available on most of the UNIX platforms, so in
the real world when you dont have a "true blue IBM" shop you can use
your Sequent or HP-UX machines as backup servers, unlike ADSM.

Still we all know and love ADSM and version 3 I am sure will impress us
all!!!
Still ADSM V3 is around the corner