ADSM-L

Anrw8218w - no data on socket 5

1997-10-08 19:25:12
Subject: Anrw8218w - no data on socket 5
From: Peter Zutenis <pzutenis AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:25:12 +1000
Hi Guys,

I am doing a backup of an oracle database via the dsmc archive function whilst
the oracle database is down. This was working fine until a couple of days ago
when I started getting the following error:

ANR8218W Session terminated when no data was read from socket 5
ANR0480W Session for Node terminated - connection with client severed.

Running AIX 414 on SP. Adsm on wide node , oracle on high node - transferring
over Parallel switch. around 30GB of oracle db.

Now, this particular database is made up of a number of data directories data1
data2 etc. Each directory has around 8GB of DBF files.

The archive is a wildcard archive in that all files in each directory are
archived. ie dscm archive data1/* , dsmc archive /data2/* etc.

The error has always appeared in data2. The scripot then continues on and does
data3 and data4 without any problems, goldarnit.

Could this be a comm timeout ? Should I increase COMMTimeout in the dsmserv.opt
? Currently set to 180.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

BTW, I am trying to get our management to see the light and buy a decent oracle
backup interface to adsm as I hate this mickey mouse way of backing up oracle.

Best Regards,

Peter Zutenis
Principal Systems Programmer
Philip Morris Information Services Ltd