ADSM-L

Clients directly to tape library on AIX server. Comments,Suggestions?

1997-09-26 10:42:12
Subject: Clients directly to tape library on AIX server. Comments,Suggestions?
From: Brad Diefendorf <bradd AT SELECT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 10:42:12 -0400
I am experimenting with a proof of concept and am not yet "live" with
ADSM.

I have an environment where, due to lack of adequate disk space, I am
planning to backup directly from my clients to an IBM 7331-205 Auto Tape
Library using 8mm 7.0gb tapes which is attached to my ADSM AIX server.
This tape library holds a total of 20 tapes.  Therefore, I only have one
storage pool which is tape.  My ADSM clients include 2 AIX servers with
SAP/Oracle, 4 NT servers including Exchange, and miscellaneous others
including MACs.

My current backup strategy without ADSM is the following:
1. Backup Oracle archive logs from 1 AIX server every third business day
to (1) tape.
2. Backup AIX volume groups from 2 servers once a week for a total of
(6) tapes.
3. Daily differental backup of each NT server.
4. Once a week full backup of each NT server.

These tapes are then taken off-site to a storage facility and through a
manual log process I then phone the off-site facility to send back the
tapes that have expired for re-use.

I have been told that ADSM will not backup volume groups, only
filesystems.  I also understand that I need a product called BACKINT to
backup the SAP/Oracle environment.

I am trying to weigh the benefits against the drawbacks of colocation.
I am not sure how reclamation and expiration will notify me when to get
tapes back from storage.

If you are still with me...thanks for reading this far!!  I am looking
for any advice, similiar experiences and/or recommendations that you may
have.

Thanks in advance for your help!