ADSM-L

Re: NT Registry Restore

1997-09-25 22:44:23
Subject: Re: NT Registry Restore
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:44:23 EDT
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:39:11 EDT Gretchen L. Thiele said:
>Another NT question and a comment about deleting and reinstalling ADSM
>as a system service....
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to restore an 'inactive' version
>of the registry? Just ran into that today - selecting 'active and
>inactive' apparently has no bearing on the registry. I would think
>that it would be nice to get an older copy of the registry, as
>in this case it was not noticed that it was bad until the backup
>had occurred.
>
>As far the system service goes - on level .5 for NT, we find that
>it's almost *required* to go into the registry and delete the ADSM
>entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\... so if you're
>still unsuccessful at re-installing using the ADSM service installer,
>try cutting the source via regedit or regedt32...
>

>Gretchen L. Thiele
>Princeton University
Hello Gretchen

This may not be the only way, but here is one that I picked up from this
list.

Restore the directory c:\adsm.sys  to the inactive copy that you want.
(c:\adsm.sys) is the location of the offloaded registry data.

Then do a selective backup of c:\adsm.sys\* with subdir=yes (restore
was also subdir=yes).

Then do the adsm registry restore. The adsm restore is in two parts
it first restores c:\adsm.sys then moves that data to the registry.
(It would be nice if adsm would let you choose an older inactive copy).

Two notes:
ADSM version 2 does not handle the ntuser.dat file.
If you go back in time and the password was changed between the time
the backup  of c:\adsm.sys and the current time, the user can not sign
onto the domain as the sid code in the pc and that in the domain contrl.
will not match. The pc will have to be taken out of the domain and put
back in to fix this up.
There may be other ways to have an out of sync sid code. But I know not
enought to list them.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513