ADSM-L

Re: ADSM with remote sites

1997-09-25 07:59:09
Subject: Re: ADSM with remote sites
From: Daniel Whicker <heimdall AT MAIL.UTEXAS DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 06:59:09 -0500
At 03:53 PM 09/25/97 +0800, you wrote:
>We are about to implement ADSM in a mixed UNIX (mostly AIX) and NT
>environment.  Centrally we plan to use a 3494 with 2 3590 drives.  We
>also have remote sites where large quantities of data are changed on a
>daily basis with relatively slow network connections, too slow in fact to
>backup this data centrally.  Has anybody any experience in this sort of
>environment.  We would like to have tape devices attached to servers in
>the remote locations to backup the remote data and keep all the
>indexes, management and admin on the central ADSM server.
>
>I would appreciate hearing of other peoples experiences.

We're in a similar environment.  We have a 3494 ATL with 10 3590s backing
up ~100 Sparc 2000's and Various Riscs.  We also have several remote sites
with various hardware (HPs, Riscs, Sparcs, Linux Boxes, Solaris x86 Boxes,
etc) which are connect through a slow network.  We're having to put
seperate ADSM servers in the remote locations.  Supposedly v3 of ADSM will
allow for a heirarchical network of servers which can use each others
databases.  I don't know much about it beyond that it is planned, though.

                                                                        -Daniel
                Daniel Whicker  (heimdall AT mail.utexas DOT edu)