ADSM-L

MOVE DATA Questions

1997-09-23 11:10:57
Subject: MOVE DATA Questions
From: Matthew Warren <mwarren AT OSMF.BT.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:10:57 +0100
Hello all,

        I have some questions regarding MOVE DATA commands.

Imagine I have 3 tape volumes.

B       60% full.
C       10% full.
D       0%  full. (Any scratch)

Is it possible to movedata from B to D then C to D and end up with B & C at 0%
and D at 70% thereby emulating space reclamation?

OR

Does ADSM always ask for a new scratch tape when a move data is performed so I
will end up with

(Assuming movedata for b is done THEN movedata for C)

B       0%  full
C       0%  full
D       60% full
E       10% full

Basically, Is it possible to do any kind of space reclaim using on or offsite
move data cammonds?

I dont think so, but a colleague of mine does. If the argument settles in my
favour I'll buy you a virtual pint!

Matthew Warren.
BT Open Systems Storage Managment.

mwarren AT osmf.bt.co DOT uk