ADSM-L

Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools

1997-09-18 06:59:33
Subject: Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:59:33 GMT
(Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:17:05 -0400)

>1.  We'd like to do this without redefining the AIX logical volume groups.
>     a)  Is this possible?  That is, can an ADSM storage pool span multiple
>          AIX logical volume groups?   We'd like the DISK01pool to have half
>         of it's volumes in ADSMVG1 and the other half of it's volumes in
>         ADSMVG2.

Yes, you can. You just have to create one volume in each volume group. You
can use raw logical volumes or dsmfmt'd files on a JFS.

>     b)  If this is possible, how do we do this (i.e. what are the AIX and ADSM
>          steps)?  We don't have any 'unallocated' space to create 'copies' of
>          our pools in the merge process.
>          If we try to make the changes from ADSM only (i.e. by deleting the
>          volumes from DISK02 and then adding them to the DISK01 pool),
>          aren't we now only using 1/2 of our disks (i.e. since we are adding
>          storage volumes to /DISK01 and /DISK01 is in VG1 which is on
>          8 physical disks?

The way I understand what you want to do, you have to:

1.a) Migrate all disk STGPOOL data to TAPE
or
1.b) MOVE DATA from other disk pools to DISK01

2.) Delete volumes belonging to pools other than DISK01

3.) Delete disk STGPOOL other than DISK01

4.) Define the volumes that you just deleted into DISK01. You don't need to
recreate the volumes at AIX level, but you might wish to.

5.) Adjust backup/archive copy groups to reflect the deletion of storage
pools.

You don't realy need to redifine the volume groups. AIX allows you to define
logical volumes with all the flexibility you need, and ADSM doesn't care
with volume groups at all.

BTW, anyone tested the performance difference between raw and file devices
for ADSM stgpools?

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,