ADSM-L

Re: ADSM steps for COPYPOOL/offsite

1997-09-17 12:20:31
Subject: Re: ADSM steps for COPYPOOL/offsite
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:20:31 -0700
**** Origional question ****
... I would like to know what steps others are using for copying their
 tapes to a copypool, and sending them offsite....

We are running on NT, and use NT's AT scheduler command to run a .bat
file after the normal completion time for our backups. We also have
operators present, so we can use pauses and text prompts between the
tasks to allow the operators to release each step as the previous step
completes. The batch file performs the following.
1. Issues a Q Ses command so that the operator can verify schedule
completion.
2. Issues a copy storage pool for each of our disk pools
3. Lowers the migration threshold for each disk pool to free up space
for the next nights backups.
4. Issues a copy command for each tape pool to catch any files that
bypassed the diskpool and wrote to tape, or were automatically migrated
during the backup process.

Our copy tapes are sent offsite once a week. When a tape is reclaimed,
it is kept in pending status, and offsite for an additional week, just
in case we need to restore things back to a point in time before we ran
the reclimation processing.