ADSM-L

New ADSM user questions

1997-09-12 16:07:25
Subject: New ADSM user questions
From: Dana Mitchell <dnmitchell AT EQUITABLE-OF-IOWA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:07:25 -0500
Hello All,

We are getting ready to take the plunge to ADSM and I have a few
questions that I would appreciate anyone's opinions on:

1) We will be running the ADSM server on MVS backing up to 3490's but
our DR plan doesn't state that the Novell servers will be rebuilt close to
the MVS recovery site (the servers will be close to where the users end
up, MVS could be at any of the provider's sites).  IBM tells me that
backup tapes created on MVS can be used to recover clients using say
an AIX server.  But has anyone done this?  Is it possible?  Feasable? etc.

2) What kinds of options do I have for archive to optical from an MVS
server?  Does ADSM suport channel attached 3995?  Does it  require
OAM? (and DB2) or would it make sense to have an auxiliary server (like
AIX or NT) just for things like optical archive?

Thanks in advance for any input
Dana