ADSM-L

Re: Archving newbie

1997-09-10 13:59:11
Subject: Re: Archving newbie
From: Aubrey Truex <atruex AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:59:11 PDT
>Date:         Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:21:00 GMT
>Sender:       "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>From:         Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
>Subject:      Re: Archving newbie
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
>(Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:40:54 PDT)
>
>>Hi. I am a newly appointed ADSM administrator, and have a simple task
>>to accomplish (it would seem !): achive a set of files from two
clients for 7 years.
>>I have been trying to read through manuals to find the process for
doing this, but have not been too successful. I did find references to
>>creating a management class for archiving, and making references to
that in the includexclude and dsm.sys files on the client side, but have
not
>>figured out how to migrate the files to an archive copy pool. I will
>>need to retain two copies of each archive file for seven years.
>
>You can create a management class with an ARCHIVE COPY GROUP with a =
>RETVer of 2557 days and a DESTination=3DMYARCHPOOL.
>
>Later, when archiving, use the -ARCHMc=3D<management class> option to
>associate the archived files whith that management class.
>
>In order to have "two copies" of the archived files you can create a
primary storage pool MYARCHPOOL and copy storage pool MYCOPYPOOL. Then
issue (or schedule) a BAckup STGpool MYARCHPOOL MYCOPYPOOL.

Rui,

  Thanks for the suggestions. I have created Archivepool1 and
Archive-offsite for my second tape pool for tapes that will be stored
off-site. Both tape pools have a retention set for 2557 days. I have
setup an administrative event to copy the files from Archivepool1 to
Archive-offsite. I haven't figured out how to make it active, as the new
job does not come up as a job scheduled to run tonight.
  I have a management class app.archive that designates archivepool1 as
the Storage pool destination for migrated files.
  I did not find any useful reference on how to use ARCHMC with ADSM. I
did find documentation that tells how to use the include/exclude file to
associate files with management classes. I also found that I could
create a backup/archive schedule. I specified archive as the action, and
a directory tree that got close to the files I wanted to archive.
  So this is what I think I will do to archive my files flow wise:

1. Edit the inclexcl.list file on the client to add the correct
directries that need to be archived with the long-term archive
management class after each directory name
2. When backups are run on that client each night, all files that are in
that directory should be backedup to Archivepool1.
3. After the backup, there will be a job to copy all archive files to a
second tape pool for off-site storage.

If there is an easier approach, I'm open to suggestions...

Aubrey