ADSM-L

Re: Trace Statistics Question

1997-09-10 12:03:11
Subject: Re: Trace Statistics Question
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:03:11 -0400
The trace settings in DSM.OPT should read:

   TRACEFILE SYS:ADSM\TRACE.OUT
   TRACEFLAGS INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL

The TRACEFILE setting can point to any valid volume/directory/filename
combination. The statistics will be displayed in there.

Assuming that this has been done correctly, the next thing is to be sure you
are running the client in batch mode, for example:

   LOAD DSMC INCREMENTAL

or

   LOAD DSMC SELECTIVE SYS:* -SUBDIR=YES

The trace does not work in loop or scheduler modes.

After the command completes, you'll want to record the ending statistics.
You'll also want the output from

   QUERY NODE nodename FORMAT=DETAILED

as the Pct. Idle, Pct. Comm., and Pct. Media wait statistics are also useful in
shedding light on performance problems.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support

        ADSM-L @ VM.MARIST.EDU