ADSM-L

Re: A strange weekend.....

2015-10-04 18:05:23
Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 9/9/97 3:56PM
Sorry I wasn't clearer with my response.  After the restart, the first event
(which was then within its window) took off, ran successfully and was
reported as such.  The next event (and all subsequent events) did not occur,
and were marked as failed.  There were no log messages that could be linked
to the failed events.  The first event seemed to complete normally, and all
messages associated with it seemed to concur.

Jerry

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    9/9/97 3:56 PM

Jerry,

  When our server stopped scheduling the administrative events, they showed
as pending or missed in the admin gui.  I have not had the experience of
the scheduler reporting a successful command without it actually running.
The only exception are those tasks that execute as a different process and
the scheduler reports success only by the act of initiating the process.
Backup DB is an example of this.

Sorry that I have no further info.

 Dan T.

----------

---------------------------
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> Date: 9/9/97 8:52AM
> To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
> *To: *ADSM-L at SNADGATE
> Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....

---
---

__________________________________
> Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....
> Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> Date:    9/9/97 8:52 AM
>

> Jerry,
>
>   We have seen the scheduler lock up on ptf 12 & 13 as well.  On 13 we
> found a problem with the last scheduled admin command (a file was
> archived).  You might look at the last successful scheduled event.
Someone
> else reports that the scheduler process is the same for the backup and
> administrative events.  I have no knowledge that disputes this statement,
> however, I have see administrative events stop being scheduled while
backup
> events continued to be.
>
> Good luck,
>   Dan T.
>
> ----------
> > From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: A strange weekend.....
> > Date: Monday, September 08, 1997 1:54 PM
> >
> > Date:     September 8, 1997             Time: 1:20 PM
> > From:     Jerry Lawson
> >           The Hartford Insurance Group
> > (860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

> -
> -
> > I had a strange weekend - what was it Jerry Garcia used to say "What a
> > strange journey this has been"?
> >
> > We began having TCP/IP troubles on Friday - we could establish
sessions,
> but
> > data transfers would hang after a few bytes were sent - they would
> timeout
> > either as a communications timeout, or an idle wait, depending on when
> TCP
> > decided to stop.  This didn't clear until 2:00 AM, when they bounced
> TCP/IP,

> > but operations didn't recycle ADSM, so we were out of the water until
mid
> > morning Saturday when I happened to check it.
> >
> > Nothing much unusual there, but here is what had me confused.  Sometime
> on
> > Friday, all of our Admin schedules stop executing - no indication as to
>  why.
> > Around noon on Friday, I had operations recycle ADSM, which went
> > successfully.  When it came up, an admin schedule that was in the
middle
> of
 > > its window kicked off, executed, and reported back a successful
> completion.
> > I thought the problem was solved, but later Friday, I checked again,
and
> the
> > admin scheduler was out again.
> >
> > I cannot think of any relationship between  TCP/IP communications, and
> admin
> > schedules.  Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > When I discovered the problem on Saturday, I again had them restart
ADSM,