ADSM-L

AW: 'Skipping Invalid filename...'

1997-09-10 05:37:38
Subject: AW: 'Skipping Invalid filename...'
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:37:38 +0100
Joelle,
the invalid filename error seems to be a bug that resides in NT's
commandline and got inherited to ADSM:
Use the dir-command to list the directory containing the skipped files.
You'll see filenames with strange characters. Now copy the path from the
output-line and paste it into a new dir command. The commandline dir
command likely will not find the filename it listed previously...
ADSM uses a kind of dir command to get information on which files exist
and which files have to be backed up. Now when the NT function returns
unusable filenames, ADSM will not find the files later.
Is there a bug in ADSM or in NT?

Under normal circumstances you can't type in invalid characters, so the
error does not occur very often. We have some old files that were
created using text editors under DOS or Win311. Those files fail to be
backed up when there are Umlauts contained in the filename. We had our
users change the filenames (remove Umlauts) in order to make backup
possible.

Regards,
Michael
--