ADSM-L

Re: A strange weekend.....

1997-09-09 14:02:54
Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:02:54 -0500
Jerry,

  When our server stopped scheduling the administrative events, they showed
as pending or missed in the admin gui.  I have not had the experience of
the scheduler reporting a successful command without it actually running.
The only exception are those tasks that execute as a different process and
the scheduler reports success only by the act of initiating the process.
Backup DB is an example of this.

Sorry that I have no further info.

 Dan T.

----------

---------------------------
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> Date: 9/9/97 8:52AM
> To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
> *To: *ADSM-L at SNADGATE
> Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....

---
---

__________________________________
> Subject: Re: A strange weekend.....
> Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> Date:    9/9/97 8:52 AM
>

> Jerry,
>
>   We have seen the scheduler lock up on ptf 12 & 13 as well.  On 13 we
> found a problem with the last scheduled admin command (a file was
> archived).  You might look at the last successful scheduled event.
Someone
> else reports that the scheduler process is the same for the backup and
> administrative events.  I have no knowledge that disputes this statement,
> however, I have see administrative events stop being scheduled while
backup
> events continued to be.
>
> Good luck,
>   Dan T.
>
> ----------
> > From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: A strange weekend.....
> > Date: Monday, September 08, 1997 1:54 PM
> >
> > Date:     September 8, 1997             Time: 1:20 PM
> > From:     Jerry Lawson
> >           The Hartford Insurance Group
> > (860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

> -
> -
> > I had a strange weekend - what was it Jerry Garcia used to say "What a
> > strange journey this has been"?
> >
> > We began having TCP/IP troubles on Friday - we could establish
sessions,
> but
> > data transfers would hang after a few bytes were sent - they would
> timeout
> > either as a communications timeout, or an idle wait, depending on when
> TCP
> > decided to stop.  This didn't clear until 2:00 AM, when they bounced
> TCP/IP,
> > but operations didn't recycle ADSM, so we were out of the water until
mid
> > morning Saturday when I happened to check it.
> >
> > Nothing much unusual there, but here is what had me confused.  Sometime
> on
> > Friday, all of our Admin schedules stop executing - no indication as to
>  why.
> > Around noon on Friday, I had operations recycle ADSM, which went
> > successfully.  When it came up, an admin schedule that was in the
middle
> of
> > its window kicked off, executed, and reported back a successful
> completion.
> > I thought the problem was solved, but later Friday, I checked again,
and
> the
> > admin scheduler was out again.
> >
> > I cannot think of any relationship between  TCP/IP communications, and
> admin
> > schedules.  Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > When I discovered the problem on Saturday, I again had them restart
ADSM,