ADSM-L

backup retention

2015-10-04 18:05:23
Subject: backup retention
From: David Grant
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We are running ADSM version 2 with platforms such as HPUnix, WindowsNT,
NetWare, and Mac supported. We are currently using one management class
that allows 7 versions to be retained for up to 120 days. My bosses
understand that ADSM does not follow the traditional method of
incremental and full backups that they are used to. However, they want
to have the ADSM backups 'mirror' our mainframe backups as closely as
possible. For us, that is incremental backups Monday through Friday and
a full backup on Sunday. The full backups are kept for 5 weeks. We want
ADSM to also do incremental backups Monday through Friday and a full
backups on Sunday. My idea would be to run incremental backups Monday
through Friday and allow  7 versions with a retention of 5 days and run
an archive backup on Sunday  and allow 5 versions with a retention of 5
weeks. Does the archive backup honor the include/exclude statements set
up by the client? Any suggestions on number of versions and retention
periods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David Grant
California Polytechnic State University